This delicious, soft, and moist coffee cake has a cinnamon filling and irresistible streusel topping. Soft with a moist crumb and a bit of crunch on top, it's a perfect pairing for your morning coffee. No need to be intimidated. We’ve got you covered with this simple guide.
- Brown Sugar
- Sour Creme
- Baking Powder
- Corn Starch
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Set the oven to 350F and grease or parchment line a 9×9 inch pan.
- Make the cinnamon filling: add the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon to a bowl then whisk together and set aside.
- Make the streusel topping: whisk the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl then drop in the cubed butter and pinch together to create crumbles. You want to have a bunch of crumbles ranging in various sizes. If the mixture is too sandy then press large handfuls together and gently break them apart.
- To make the cake batter; sift flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl and whisk together.
- Beat the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the light brown sugar and mix to combine. Scrape the bowl down and mix once more.
- Pour in the vanilla then add the eggs one at a time while mixing on a medium speed. Mix in the sour cream then scrape the bowl down and mix until completely smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl down and give the mixture one last mix.
- Pour half of the batter into your prepared pan and smooth toward the edges to create a base layer. Sprinkle the cinnamon filling on top then add the remaining batter. Use your spatula to smooth the batter toward the edge.
- Top with the streusel crumble then place into the oven at 350F for about 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the center. Wait 20 minutes to cool before cutting.